|||

Debugging The Ulysses - Blot Interaction

Not sure debugging is the right word. I might just be me! (Later … it was)

Blot is a pretty awesome way to publish thoughts musings and stuff to the web. I set it up a month ago - you basically point it at a drop box folder and whatever is in that dropbox folder is now available to view on the web. The creator and ongoing supporter of blot is David Merfield and I really can’t say enough about how good he is.

Of course, there is a lot more to Blot than that, but that is not why I write. Rather writing to capture something that occurred on my system, in my workflow. And though I now have it cracked - I still don’t really know what is going on. Let me explain ….

The first thing to know is that I use Ulysses as my prime app for writing a lot of my words. Inside of Ulysses I can write stuff and when finished, I simply move the file into the appropriate folder in Ulysses - in this case Comment’ for example - and bobs your uncle - so to speak, you are now reading the words.

This page took a while to build, but I got there. It is essentially a giant set of links to software, sites and services that I use. Documented for interest, but also so that it become an online set of bookmarks I can access from anywhere, even if I am not on my own machines.

I originally had the links as HTML, since I pulled a lot of them in from bookmarks, but I switched it all to Markdown - and then added some simple styling elements to create the sections.

All good and basically the code that I used on my page looked like a lot of this;

<div class="featurebox-odd">  
## Micro Blogging  
[Blottings](http://blottings.philpin.com)   
</div>  

And then suddenly that code format changed across the entire page, to this;

<div class="featurebox-odd">
## Micro Blogging
[Blottings][6]
</div>

and all the links had disappeared.

After some sleuthing, I restored the page from an earlier version and I was good to go again. And then it happened again, this time though not all the links were broken. In Ulysses, the page still looked broken - so I opened up a text editor to see what was in the entire file and there at the very bottom of the page I found this: ;

[1]:    http://blottings.philpin.com  
[2]:    http://john.philpin.com  
[3]:    https://feedly.com/i/my  
[4]:    https://pinboard.in/u:fractals  
[5]:    https://www.instapaper.com/u  
[6]:    http://blottings.philpin.com  

and those were indeed the 6 links that were not broken on the page, the rest - same problem. I restored once more, taking care not to edit anything after and let the system settle down.

A day later I checked the page again to find that once more all of my links had been replaced with numbers as described above - and now at the bottom of the page I had over 50 references. Essentially - every single link in the body copy that actually gets displayed has a hidden reference at the bottom of the page.

My guess is that Ulysses is building that index, but I really don’t know.

I think I have established that everything broke when I was editing a page as the system was applying the transformation. When I left it alone - all seems to be good.

It now seems to be working as shown on the tin - and I assume this is a way for Ulysses to manage a high number of Markdown links. I think I will send link to this post to them and see what they have to say.

Later

I wrote to Ulysses - who duly nailed the issue:
”The issue you are describing might be caused by the way links are handled in your External Folders. Could you please double-click on the affected folder and select Inline Links” instead of Reference Links” in the Save Links as” option.

After you saved each sheet where the issue occurred with ⌘S (command-S) the links should be handled the way you want.

Screen Grab - per help from Ulysses.Screen Grab - per help from Ulysses.

I checked - and exactly right - as described - mystery solved.

Up next On Anger Recent Customer Service Response Times and Experiences Maybe it is time for some of America’s ‘fine’ institutions to take some lessons from the indie web movement. For whatever reason, this past week, I
Latest posts On Getting It Right Just Some Links Does Northern Ireland really hold the world record for the longest period without a sitting government? On Knowledge Free Product Placement - Surely That’s A Typo? On Morals No Names To Protect The Innocent From their groundbreaking 2017 book, How Democracies Die. The Man Cute A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace Defining Digital Identity On Life On Life On Life On Confidence On On ‘The Essential’ The Mechanics Of Business Sometimes You Wonder An Early View Of A New Series Dressed to Distress Seen many of these over the years, but never this one - and certainly not one as long as this. On Intelligence On Words A Data Manifesto On Improvisation On Direction Sausalito I started to write a response to this in the comments - but I obviously want on too long, and got cut off … so I am making a post, and will make it as long as I want! Alan Jacobs asked in one of his recent newsletters …. On Tourism
Creative Commons License
This site and its content by John Philpin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at https://john.philpin.com