It’s Simple Isn’t It?
You are in a grocery store and while your goods are being checked out by the cashier, you ‘wave’ your phone at the terminal and done … right? Well, only if you make the right choices that are actually all outside of Apple’s control.
- Did you put your phone near the terminal or do you need to touch it?
- When you did that - did you aim towards the bottom of the machine or towards the top?
- Has the cashier set the terminal to accept your payment in advance?
- Regardless - did the store system accept it - or is that one of the earlier steps failed?
- Try again … better?
- Ok - accepted. Yes?
Yes and then you start to walk out … not so fast.
- How much was the bill? Because that decides whether you need to sign or not … it varies from store to store.
- Oh and was that a debit or credit card? Check the box please.
The problem is that just layering Apple Pay on top of existing systems doesn’treally improve the customer experience … I wonder when it will be fully integrated to provide a totally seamless experience.